What’s better than an affogato in the summer? A matcha affogato! If you’re Team Matcha like we are, this drink is the perfect amount of creaminess all while not being overly sweet. We’re not exaggerating when we say it’s the perfect amount of sweetness. This dessert is honestly so simple that you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t make it sooner!
Matcha ice cream is like the anthem of the summer because it is rich and creamy, but earthy and refreshing. We wanted to take advantage of those awesome flavors but more quickly than making homemade ice cream. The matcha sauce is the perfect complement to your next brownie sundae, or on plain vanilla ice cream like how we prepared it! Try it over different flavors like strawberry or chocolate chip ice cream, too… YUM!
Matcha is expensive and not available everywhere so it can be hard to track it down. We used 1 packet of Matcha Powder from Trader Joe’s for every 1 teaspoon our recipe calls for. The sauce will taste very strong on its own, but when paired with ice cream the balance of flavor is perfection. You can also buy matcha powder in bulk at most grocery stores that have a bulk section, or on Amazon in larger quantities. A little goes a long way, so you will have enough matcha to last you all summer and beyond.
If you are wanting this recipe to be fully vegan, track down your favorite vegan ice cream to complement your sauce. We love the versatility of this sauce and have been trying to think of more ways to use it. Next up, creamy iced matcha lattes. If you try this recipe, give us a shout in the comments and let us know your favorite food to top with Matcha Sauce.
This affogato starts with a strong and flavorful matcha green tea sauce. It is super versatile and can top brownie sundaes, ice cream, lattes and more!
Makes: 12 servings
- 4 tsp Matcha powder
- 1 can of Cocounut Cream (full fat)
- 3 TBSP honey or agave syrup
- 1/2 Gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- In a blender or food processor, mix all ingredients. Start on a low setting to combine and then move to a high setting for 1 minute until all matcha powder is incorporated. If you notice any clumps, use a spatula or spoon to remove from the sides and blend again until combined.
- Scoop 1/2 cup scoops of vanilla ice cream into seperate glasses.
- Pour matcha sauce onto each scoop until covered. About 1/8 cup of sauce per serving.