Crunchy Chickpea Pitas with Sweet Potato Hummus is going to be your new favorite healthy snack! With roasted and seasoned chickpeas, homemade sweet potato hummus with a deep tahini flavor, and fresh, colorful vegetables, this is a feel-good recipe.
[Hailey] This healthy dish can be a filling snack or meal… I enjoyed one really late the other night when I was way too hungry to sleep. Midnight snacks are probably never a good idea but I felt really on top of things eating this versus a bowl of cereal!
One of our favorite things about dishes like this is that all the components can be prepped ahead of time and assembled whenever you get a craving or when your stomach begins to rumble. My favorite way to prepare the pre-prepped version is to quickly toast the pita bread and chickpeas under the broiler in the oven with a quick drizzle of olive oil. When the toasty, warm pita hits the cold veggies and hummus, beautiful flavors happen.
We really wanted to provide you with a healthy meal on this first post because you will eventually see that we love decadent foods, carbs and cheese. After prepping so many delicious cocktails and desserts for you, we wanted to do a spread of fresh summery meals to start it all off. So don’t worry… dessert is coming!
Crunchy Chickpea Pita with Sweet Potato Hummus
Fresh sweet potato hummus on top of toasty pita bread, with crunchy roasted chickpeas, bursting with fresh vegetables and a drizzle of good olive oil.
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 TBSP Tahini
- 1 15-oz Cans of Garbanzo Beans
- 2 Small or 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 15-oz Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 Pita Pockets or Tandoori Naan Bread
- 1 Purple Carrot
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Head Green Leaf Lettuce
- Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place your sweet potato(es) in foil and lightly coat with olive oil and salt. Wrap up in the foil and place to one side of your baking sheet.
- Drain 1 can of chickpeas and rinse. On the other side of the baking sheet, add your rinsed chickpeas and coat with a light drizzle of olive oil. Add 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp paprika and pepper to taste. Place baking sheet with wrapped sweet potatoes and chickpeas in oven for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, remove roasted chickpeas and continue cooking sweet potatoes for 10 more minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prep your vegetables. This is how we prepared and cut our veggies:
- Peel half of cucumber vertically to make lines. Slice Cucumber into rounds about 1/4 inch wide.
- Slice tomatoes in thin slices.
- Peel carrot and shave into ribbons using peeler.
- Optional: Toast pita bread in oven for 5 mins to warm.
- Once sweet potatoes are finished roasting, remove from oven and carefully remove skins using 2 forks.
- Place all hummus ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly add 1/4 cup of olive oil while processor is running. If you like your hummus thinner in texture, add 1 TBSP of water at a time to achieve your desired texture.
- Assemble all components and enjoy!
We like to make a bed of lettuce on the bottom, stack veggies, dollup with some hummus and sprinkle the roasted chickpeas on top!